Aadeez Forums
Forums Tools
Mark All Post As Read
Delete Cookies

Festival Cafe - Christmas & New Year!

Betamakers Community Search   Calendar   Help Help  Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>

Author

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Festival Cafe - Christmas & New Year!
      Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 5:26 PM
 @ Ayah- may God accept your prayers and meditation. I can't wait to learn from your post when you are ready to put something up :)

@ Dipz- whether you do the puja in Calcutta or somewhere else, it's still praying right? :) Enjoy it, your plans sound amazing, keep updating!

Ayah

Ayah View Drop Down
Groupie
Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ayah Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 5:34 PM
 ^^ i love those last two lines :) mehendi looks so beautiful :).
there is one thing common......in Hinduism and Islam is we both follow lunar charts..
wherein western follow the solar charts.......:)
a lot of our festivals are based on moon...like karwa chauth..(wherein the women prays for his husband..n waits for moon to come )..:P n u know its crazy ..:P tht is day :P..its so hard to find..n there so much frolic :P mummas ,aunties..n all will be sending kiddos thousand times :P..
ki go n see if moon is visible :P humari halat khurab hoti hai :P...
n somthin is sweet too..:P..tht uncle and aunties who have quarrel all year :P turn sweet to each other..
all these festival where design to unite people....bring positivity..!...in lives of people..
activate the goodness in each one of us :)..Rejoice :)..
But ill be back with more details :P update from.....kolkata celebrating durga puja :)
dipz :P..come soon :) uv gotta teach me how to burst crackers..:P...
not the lousy ones :P..

@ farah..thnx..praying is itself a kind of meditation :)..

Edited by Ayah - 19 Oct 2012 at 5:37 PM
woo sabar de jo tere nairey karde..!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 6:36 PM
Hehe yes, my best friend is a Gujerati Hindu, newly married and is always saying that karwa chauth is very hard! 

Aadeez- I have a question for you, I hope you won't mind me asking because I'm very curious. One of the largest minority communities in India are Muslims right? and of course, Hinduism is the primary faith in there so don't you guys learn about each other's cultures and traditions at school? Do you have citizenship classes or religious education classes at school? I'm surprised that living side by side, both communities don't seem to have a lot of knowledge about each other. 

In the UK, despite the majority of our schools being state-run and secular, we still have religious education lessons- nothing very deep or substantial, it just gives a brief overview of the world's biggest religions I guess since the UK has quite a mix of people and these kind of classes help to build understanding. It's not perfect at all but it's a start.

Makes me think that a topic like this really should be a space to share our traditions even more- please keep sharing everyone, your stories, your traditions, how you celebrate etc 

Let's build those bridges :)

dipz

dipz View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote dipz Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 9:11 PM
  @farrahdi---luv ur "Significance of the Moon in Islam and Muslim festival" post...(smile)...i just came to knw(by it) how moon has the significance in Eid al fitr..thnx f that...(smile).....n i knw both Muhharam n Randam months..(smile smile)...as ayah said last two lines r really so swt...we(bengalis) do mehendi on Rakhi(sisters pray to god f her brothers f their welfare),on wedding(obviously f her HUBBY..:P )...
n v also have some festivals on full moon::like LAXMI puja(Godess of wealth),HOLI(in bengali itz cll DOL,that day we play wd colors,as colors signifies happiness,love n prosperity)...(did i miss somethng @AYAH???)
yeaaas @farrahnazh puja is abt praying...bt still ....kolkata's puja is totally my most favorite thng.....on those days 2am seems like itz 7pm only....just thnk abt this...love it...love it.....so many ppls r always on the road...smile on their face....happiness is all around....itz very nyc to see every1 happy,smiling(on those days every body came to their famly,enjying,n most specially forgettng their busy life...jst havving fun)...../////we dont have any religious classess here....though on both religions festival we get festival holidays.....////am doing my bit f making the BIDGE btween us(2 nation,1 human;;;;2 religion 1 humanity)

@AYAH(suchitadi)---yep dr,i also wanna cm bk sooooonnnn(really sooonn)....infct i dnt wanna go...cry...cry....dontyyy worryyy i wiilllyyy teachyy u(itz feeling me good that i will teach some1 somethng...:))

"Atif you raise us up, to much more than we can be .. Happy Birthday AADEE !! <3"

Ayah

Ayah View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ayah Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 9:55 PM
   ^^ :P shona :P..eto kandle amar mon kharab hoye jabe :(.. come soon :D..
I can totally relate to u...i was stayin out of my city for two years..n i know how people wait for..it....
i am not a bengali :)..but i do put mehendi...on rakhi......as gesture :) to thank god for giving the sweetest brother ..in my destiny :)..so even i was out of kolkata..i used to find :P
however .:P i have a bad habit of sketching on my own hand :P
so my teachers used to think that :P..im not listning to their lectures..but i listen more :)..deeply and im more connected when m sketching :)..
i have so much to learn dipz :P..i still dont no how to ride :P bycycle :P..hahaha
n people still tease me on tht :)..:P...
farrahdi..onek buddhiman ( very intelligent )..=)..

Kino Aafe

Kino Aafe View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kino Aafe Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:51 PM
happy navratri to all who are celebrating itSmile  

Dibya...

Dibya... View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dibya... Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 1:11 AM
@farah siso- As far as i knw Muslim is the largest majority communities after Hindusim in India... and religious studies are prohibited at any educational institution in India (written in Indian constitution)... bt we can choose different language (like Urdu, Arabic, Nepalese etc) fr our studies...
That's not where my heart is. That's not where I can make a stand and that's not where the people who made me Atif Aslam belong.

dipz

dipz View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote dipz Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 1:12 AM
  @ayah---he he...eta to darun bolle.....very interresting thing abt u....that skeching1...:)....yiiipppiiieee i knw hw to ride bycycle(though cn't take double)...ok...chap nio na di...i will teach u dat also...:P....aj choto kore janoto ektu ghure elm...happieee happieee
"Atif you raise us up, to much more than we can be .. Happy Birthday AADEE !! <3"

Ayah

Ayah View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ayah Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 1:28 AM
 @divya ..i slightly disagree..coz when u study law..in India..u have to mandatorily study about..
islamic laws and hindu laws  as a part of curriculum..n offcourse when u study about personal laws of both relegion..u do get idea about sharia....n vedantism!..
parallely if you go to our college library we have library enriched with books of all cultures and relgions......
i personally have see book written on islamic jurisprudence....n .....
n if your read indian constitution :) here is somthing of ur interest..incorporated in fundamental rights..so its the duty of the state to provide the citizens :)

Cultural and Educational Rights

29. Protection of interests of minorities.—(1) Any section of the citizens residing in the territory of India or any part thereof having a distinct language, script or culture of its own shall have the right to conserve the same.

(2) No citizen shall be denied admission into any educational institution maintained by the State or receiving aid out of State funds on grounds only of religion, race, caste, language or any of them.

30. Right of minorities to establish and administer educational institutions. — (1) All minorities, whether based on religion or language, shall have the right to establish and administer educational institutions of their choice.

(1A) In making any law providing for the compulsory acquisition of any property of an educational institution established and administered by a minority, referred to in clause (1), the State shall ensure that the amount fixed by or determined under such law for the acquisition of such property is such as would not restrict or abrogate the right guaranteed under that clause.

(2) The State shall not, in granting aid to educational institutions, discriminate against any educational institution on the ground that it is under the management of a minority, whether based on religion or language.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 1:52 AM
 thanks for answering everyone. I have no doubt that the knowledge is available in libraries etc, I just wondered if religious/cultural studies was a part of the school ciriculum because it is here, that's all.

Thanks again for answering all!

So, have you all got your new clothes and gifts ready? ;)

Nirali

Nirali View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nirali Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 2:19 AM
Ayah, u're right, We have Islamic laws n we can study them if we opt for. But as far as Farrah's question is concerned, we do not have separate lectures or classes to teach us abt diff cultures n religions. Its upto the school syllabus n teachers, how do they teach us..I have a Muslim frnd n i keep on asking her abt everything. However, i did not know the diff between 2 eids.. Thanx for explaining Farrah.. As of now, m enjoying Navratri.. Hope it goes on n on..!
Mera to jo bhi hai,
Tu hi tha, tu hi hai,
Baaki jahaan hai begaana...

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 3:20 AM
 ^ Thanks Nirali, I think that's pretty interesting considering the diversity of India's population. I'm glad my post was helpful, I'm getting to learn lots here too :) Hope you're doing lots of mauj masti ;)

Ayah

Ayah View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ayah Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:56 PM

Clothers nope :P Mom is not fit so i v goota do everything as much i can ..:)..shopping later :P..diwali me shopping hogi!..

Han is time pe food bot turah ke sweets bunte hai :).....:P high cal :P..pure ghee :P weightloss ka sapna chodena padta hai :P mom ka pyar :P sara khane me nikalta hai :)

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 8:00 PM
 hehe sub k yehi haal hota hain festival time mein... actually, eid k davaat jo hota hain wo mey hi banathi hun ab... kaafi kuch banana par tha hain- pilau, 2-3 salaan, kheer, halwa-puri in the morning aur bohat kuch! I think is afsar pey ammi n decide kiya hain k wo restaurant jana chatey hain so maybe mein bach ghey!!!

Agar kissi k paas ek mithai k recipie hain tou pata deyna! I've never made it at home and I'd love to try. 

dipz

dipz View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote dipz Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:45 AM
  @topic--2day gone out wd fmly..had a grt time...

http://tinypic.com/r/6xyr79/6---check dis link
ajka snap kia hua ek pic,am sharing here...i jst love it

Edited by dipz - 21 Oct 2012 at 1:53 AM

dipz

dipz View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote dipz Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:55 AM
  :(...sad sad....forum ka link dia...bt itz nt wrking..i have gave the link below...check it chek it...itz vry nyc..

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 2:19 AM
@dipz.. beautiful photo! Can you explain it? Who is who? Why does the Devi have so many arms? What does she represent? It's a really pretty scene, must take so long to to decorate!

ruhii

ruhii View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote ruhii Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:18 PM
  @farrah nice topic and im really enjoying it.
 happy navratri and eid to all aadeez.is navratri me dandiya b khelteh hai na bohat maza ata hunga koi aadeez hai joh yeh tradition b karteh hai.i didnt went to watch it bt i saw only in tv thats it.really navratri me dandiya aur joh karvachaut ki pooja hoti hai woh bohat achi dekhti hai.i love this festival.

Suhana

Suhana View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Suhana Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:29 PM
okkk aadeez kaise rahe navratras...its 8th today ...
for nine nights goddess DURGA is wroshipped in all her manifestations.... SHAILAPUTRI,BRAHMACHARINI,CHANDRAGHANTA,KUSHMANDA,LALITHA, DURGA SHASHTI,KAALRATRI,MAHA GUARI and SIDHIDATRI....and in these days kanjak (small gurls) pooja is an imp. feature...traditionally kanjak pooja isa either performed on ashthmi (8th day ) or navmi (9th day ) as it is believed dat goddess durga gets pleased by kanjak pooja...on dis day poori halwa etc are prepared and young gurls who havent attained puberty are given a fest....navratris is an auspicious festival for all hindus in d wrld...this oso paves a way for the tenth day VIJAY DASHMI (day of victory over evils ) oso called DUSSHERA....it signifies d victory of good over evil as LORD RAMA killed RAVANA...thus this festival signifies end of ills of society......hpe humare aadeez wrld mai bhi aadeez wud follow d tagline VICTORY OF GOOD OVER EVIL......happy navratras aadeez....
If a thousand painters worked for a thousand years, they could not create a work of art as beautiful as you.
Happy Burthday Aadee

Suhana

Suhana View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Suhana Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:30 PM
loved each en evry post...ayah sissi loved ur ones too much....:D 
If a thousand painters worked for a thousand years, they could not create a work of art as beautiful as you.
Happy Burthday Aadee

Ayah

Ayah View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ayah Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:31 PM
   farrah im still reading :) n im 9th chapter..:)..
of the scripture! will try answering ur questions more accurately..soon :)
whereas recipes..:)
www.sanjeevkapoor.com
my fav chef :)....will be helpful..
i usually buy sweet in kolkata..unless some special halwa mom makes :)..

Arpita

Arpita View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Arpita Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:11 AM
HAPPY NAVRATRI TO ALL

prem se bolo ~Jay Mata Di~

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 5:19 AM
 @ Suhana, that's an awesome explanation, thank you! The customs sound really sweet

@ Ayah don't worry, take your time!

@ Aprita HAPPY NAVRATRI to you too! How are you celebrating?

Are any of you guys fasting in this time? How are you finding it if you are?

Edited by farrahnazh - 23 Oct 2012 at 5:21 AM

ashika

ashika View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote ashika Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:31 AM
Heyyy aadeez.......
Happy Navaratri to all aadeez....:-) :-) :-)

ashika

ashika View Drop Down
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Quote ashika Quote  Post Reply Reply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:43 AM
Heyyyy aadeez.....
Happy Navaratri to al aadeez:-) :-) :-)
am 4m Karnataka and here navaratri is called "Dasara"...
it s celebrated very grandly specialy in Mysore:-) very nice to see the festival in Mysore:-)